Monday, April 30, 2012

A Mid-year Resolution


(My dear friend and "Goal Buddy" Diane)


January is the time of year we associate with resolutions. People decide to lose weight, quit smoking, clean out the garage, get more organized, etc. I'll admit it, I'm one of those people too!

In 2011 I resolved to blog more often, and I did pretty well until the very end of the year when I had knee surgery and I got out of the habit. What is it about us that we are so easily derailed? Granted, my surgery wasn't a minor thing, but of course, then there was Christmas, and then.... The point is, I made excuses and kept saying to myself, "I'll start up again next week." So, today I'm making a mid-year resolution to start blogging again on a regular basis.

Now, I'd like to challenge you to consider a mid-year resolution or two, not wait until next January. And, here's an idea that has really helped me the past coupe of years. Three years ago my friend Diane and I  made a "goal list" and emailed them to each other. Our lists covered personal, professional, and ministry goals. We included projects that we had put off for years, organizing of specific rooms, photo albums, and so on. We included EVERYTHING we wanted to accomplish. At the end of the year we sent each other a progress report. No, we didn't reach every goal, and some continue to show up on the next year's list, but it does make us more accountable and helps to keep us focused.

Consider finding a friend that will be your "goal buddy", send each other your goals, follow up throughout the year, and make a final report next January. I guarantee you will accomplish more this year.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and suggestions!

No comments: