Tuesday, September 13, 2011

2 Corinthians 3:1-6 (NIV)

“Such confidence we have through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant – not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you? You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tables of human hearts. Such confidence we have through Christ before God. Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant- not of the letter but of the Spirit’ for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.”

Each year I have the privilege to speak to thousands of people via retreats, banquets, luncheons, conferences, and even radio and some TV. But, believe it or not, I am a naturally shy person and being in front of people is out of my comfort zone. Yet, Christ has given me a confidence beyond my own competence, and one I don’t understand, to speak His word and actually look forward to these speaking opportunities.

This coming weekend I have the privilege to speak for the Stone Ridge Church ladies retreat (Yuma, AZ). Each time I’m asked to speak I’m in awe that the Lord would allow me to present His word. There are speakers who are more articulate and more well-known than me. These churches and organizations could have anyone come to their events, yet they invite me!

I’ll admit that it’s gratifying when I receive letters and emails of commendation, but I have to ask myself if I’m leaving a recommendation on the hearts of those I speak to? As I read this morning the verses from 2 Corinthians 3, I prayed that the words I speak will be written on the hearts of the women of Stone Ridge Church.

No comments: